Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, August 3, 2009

My First Home-made Ring Sling

I had been wanting to post my experience in using a ring sling but haven't had a time to do so until now.

I bought a ring sling from Baby Loft since Phoebe was 2 weeks old since a friend told me that her baby can sleep in the sling and the baby will not fuss. We had a challenging time with Phoebe the 1st month and so I went ahead to buy the sling without thinking of it so much.

I didn’t have such a good experience then. She didn’t want to be put in it. She would scream and cry whenever I attempt to put her in cradle position. Unfortunately, that was the only position recommended for a newborn. It was placed away for some months until 2 months ago. I thought I wouldn't have a chance to use it anymore.

Now (since 2 months ago), she will chuckle when I put her in. She will extend her hands when I wear my sling. She loves it. I can carry her on my hip, front facing, tummy to tummy, cradle position. The only position I haven’t tried is at the back. Will try that one day.

I had seen many nice designed slings and always wanted to make my own. I had purchased cloth from many months ago, downloaded instructions and design from the internet to refer to, and purchased the rings from the internet. So, the natural next step will be the sew it. I had waited for months and still no opportunity to sew it. I needed to go to my mom’s house to sew because the sewing machine is there.

At last I found an opportunity to stay there while H is away. I packed Phoebe’s stuff and we went to my mom’s place to overnight on a Friday. It wasn’t easy to put Phoebe to bed because she had stranger anxiety and ‘location’ anxiety. She cried when we dimmed the light at my previous room. Only after quite a while only she can sleep. Then only I can start my measurement and cutting of the cloth.

It took me an hour to finish sewing most part of it. I needed my aunt to help me sew the rings in because of the thickness of the cloth. Our sewing machine is not able to sew that many layers of the pleat.


Here’s my new sling. Hoping to make a few more.


3 comments:

  1. love the slings that u made! u have to teach me how to use the sling la...i wasnt successful in using the sling with Rachel.
    now with Samuel, i tried a few times but not successful coz he was crying and screaming away la....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can arrange for a time for me to show you how it works. Some people were successful when their baby were very young, but for me, no. I started when Phoebe was 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a "Baby Wearing" group that meets in Masyarakat Penyayang every Saturday on a 2nd week of each month who are dedicated to teach caregivers and parents how to used slings, pouches, sarongs, pieces of cloths to carry their babies.

    MayYen

    ReplyDelete